Friday, September 29, 2006

Quite a Discovery

Wednesday September 27
After calling information for the number for the Don Harrington Discovery Center in Amarillo, TX, the conversation went something like this:
Operator: “(muffled speech)…..help you?”

Rose: “Hi, I’m coming in on I-40 West, and I need directions.

“OK, are you familiar with Amarillo?”

“No, I haven’t been to Amarillo in about 20 years.”

“No problem. From I-40, you take the Coulter exit. That’s C-O-U-L-T-E-R. Turn onto Coulter and then take a right onto Wallace. We’re right there.”

“OK, I exit at Coulter and turn onto Wallace. I got it. Thank you.”

“So, are you coming in for a breast exam?” (long pause--maybe the cell phone is acting up).

“Ummmmm, what was that?”

“Are you coming in for a breast exam today?”

“You know, I might have the wrong number, I’m calling for the Don Harrington Discovery Center” (and I’m wondering what sort of discovery center this is!)

“Oh, the Discovery Center is just down the road, also on Wallace.”

“Good. Thank you. Bye!”

I was a little cautious going in, and completely relieved to find that the Discovery Center was, after all, a hands-on science museum for kids with a new exhibit on engineering and a planetarium show. Whew! What a relief.

No comments: